- This event has passed.
Prayer Focus: Be Transformed in Suffering for Christ
May 19, 2021 – May 21, 2021 CDT
2 Corinthians 1:3-7 NLT
3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.
4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.
5 For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ.
6 Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer.
7 We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us.
Read/Meditate the Scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 NLT
- Apostle Paul said “we suffer for Christ” and “you share in our sufferings”. What were his sufferings? (Physical? mental? emotional? spiritual?) How do we share in others’ sufferings?
- Meditate on the word “comfort” which appears 8 times in these 5 verses. Draw pictures in your mind or on a piece of paper: “God’s comfort” and “Human’s comfort” you have received in your life.
- Dig deeper:
- Comfort is the Greek word paraklésis meaning “a calling to one’s aid, encouragement, comfort, consolation.”
- Holy Spirt is the Greek word paráklētos meaning “advocate, comforter, counselor, helper.”
- Para means “come alongside”, “close beside.”
- Paul said in Romans 12:15 “Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.” The ministry of “comfort” is the ministry of “being present”. Pray that you would be comforted by the presence of others and God himself (if you are experiencing suffering). Also, pray that you will be able to comfort others with your presence.
- In John 14:16-17, Jesus promised the Holy Spirit to come to be with us. He is the Comforter, who will never leave us. Pray that you are filled with the Holy Spirit daily. (i.e. He directs your desires and thoughts. He guides your decisions and actions. He is present with you in all circumstances.)
- Pray for the transformation of ACC to be a COMFORTING body of Christ ready to do the work God has called us to do – be witnesses of God in Arlington and Southlake. GOD IS THE SOURCE OF ALL COMFORT.